About the Program
The Safe and Sound Schools National Parent Council is an exclusive, structured education program to empower participants to advocate for school safety with authority and credibility. It provides selected parents and caregiver volunteers from across the country training, tools, networking, mentorship, and resources so they can become effective advocates of safer schools in and beyond their communities.
If selected, at no cost, volunteers will receive unmatched levels of training, support, access to experts, and technical assistance, leading to better outcomes. As a result, the National Parent Council members will become exemplars of what’s possible, serving as role models for other volunteers.
If selected, Parent Council members will:
- Advocate for district-wide school safety improvements through education, communication, and funding
- Recruit and mentor new parent leaders to share best practices
- Serve as local resources for parents looking to volunteer at the local level in their schools
- Spread the mission and progress of Safe and Sound Schools through their social networks
Support from Safe and Sound Schools:
- On-demand onboarding orientation/training session to learn more about Safe and Sound Schools and the Parent Council program, including your role, communication, and operations
- Training on school safety topics to increase your knowledge base and credibility
- Access to materials to help broach higher-level discussions with administrators and local safety managers
- Networking with other parent leaders to strengthen your effectiveness
- Monthly calls with SASS leadership team members to learn new aspects of school safety and share feedback