Help make your school community safer by applying for the Safe and Sound Schools Parent Council.
This elite program gives selected parents and caregiver volunteers from across the country training, tools, resources, and certification so they can become effective advocates of safer schools in and beyond their communities.
Parents have been asking how to get involved. Safe and Sound Schools created the Parents for Safe Schools program for those who are seeking ideas for how to connect with and support local school initiatives.
The SASS Parent Council is an exclusive structured education program to empower and prepare participants to advocate for school safety with authority and credibility. More than a static toolkit, this program will deliver an ongoing deep dive into our materials, hands-on mentorship from the main office, access to our experts, and technical assistance to support targeted projects. If selected to join the Parent Council, at no cost, volunteers will receive unmatched levels of support, leading to better outcomes. As a result, the Parent Council members will become exemplars of what’s possible, serving as role models for other volunteers.
If selected, Parent Council members will:
- Spread the mission and progress of Safe and Sound Schools through their social networks
- Advocate for district-wide school safety improvements through education, communication, and funding
- Recruit and mentor new parent leaders to share best practices
- Serve as local resources for parents looking to volunteer at the local level in their schools
Support from Safe and Sound Schools:
- On-demand onboarding orientation/training session to learn more about Safe and Sound Schools and the Parent Council program, including your role, communication, and operations
- Training on the Safe and Sound Schools mission and approach, as well as overall school safety topics to increase your knowledge base and credibility
- Access to materials to help broach higher-level discussions with administrators and local safety managers (such as presentations, email templates, business cards, flyers, social media badges)
- Networking with other parent leaders to strengthen your effectiveness
- Monthly calls with SASS leadership team members to learn new aspects of school safety and share feedback
How It Works:
- Interested volunteers apply for the Parent Council at safeandsoundschools.org
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis through January 31, 2019 for the first group of Parent Council members. After that, Safe and Sound Schools will review applications monthly.
- Safe and Sound Schools will thoroughly review all applications and then conducts phone screenings with promising candidates.
- Following the phone screening, invited applicants will participate in the orientation, and if agreeable, will sign an agreement with Safe and Sound Schools.
- For the initial Parent Council group, all applicants will be notified by February 15, 2019, of their status.